I am opening a business in Brookline. Do I need a business license or special permit?

The Town of Brookline does issue business licenses. If your business involves the sale or preparation of food goods, contact the Heath Officer. If you are opening a business in an existing building/storefront, contact the Planning Office. Review of the information you provide will determine if Planning Board review is required for your proposed business. It may be that the particular use you are proposing requires a special exception or variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment; review of the change in use will assist the Code Enforcement Officer in making that determination.